By ROBERT H. REID
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Trembling, haggard and weeping into a tissue, Margaret Hassan, the kidnapped British aid worker who has spent nearly half her life delivering food and medicine in Iraq, begged Britain on Friday to help save her by withdrawing its troops, saying these "might be my last hours."
The gaunt, 59-year-old woman’s wrenching, televised statement - delivered between sobs - puts new political pressure on Prime Minister Tony Blair’s government, a day after it (…)
Home > Keywords > International > UK
UK
Articles
-
Abducted Aid Worker in Iraq Begs for Life
24 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
-
Indymedia: the tale of the servers ’nobody’ seized
24 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
By John Lettice ( john.lettice at theregister.co.uk )
Nobody seized Indymedia’s servers, apparently. On the 7th October hosting company Rackspace ’acted in compliance’ with a court order and two servers belonging to Indymedia were removed from Rackspace’s premises in London.
But the denials of involvement roll in, the latest coming from UK Home Office minister Caroline Flint, who in answer to Parliamentary questions said: "I can confirm that no UK law enforcement agencies were involved (…) -
Marchers demand Iraq withdrawal
19 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
Thousands of protesters, including the grieving parents of killed soldiers, have marched in London to demand the removal of British troops from Iraq.
Up to 100,000 people joined in the rally at Trafalgar Square, organisers the Stop The War Coalition said.
Police estimated about 20,000 people took part.
Rose Gentle, whose soldier son Gordon was killed in Iraq, said: "It’s time for Tony Blair to pull the troops out, innocent people are getting killed."
’Government to blame’
She (…) -
Thousands of Britons Protest War in Iraq
18 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
2 commentsby TIM ELFRINK
Thousands of anti-war and anti-globalization activists marched through central London and filled Trafalgar Square on Sunday to protest the U.S.-led coalition’s presence in Iraq.
The march marked the culmination of the third European Social Forum - three days of speeches, workshops and debates largely dominated by Iraq and the U.S. presidential election.
Marchers carried signs reading World’s No. 1 Terrorist’’ over a picture of President Bush. British Prime Minister Tony (…) -
Hundreds excluded from ’antisocial’ forum
15 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
by Matthew Tempest
A near stampede marred the opening ceremony of the 2004 European Social Forum in London last night, as up to a thousand rain-soaked activists were barred entry to the Southwark Cathedral reception.
Up to two thousand delegates queued in the London dusk and repeated cloudbursts for the event which was due to kick off the three-day conference of European global justice activists, only to find around half turned away. A potentially dangerous bottleneck was created as (…) -
EUROPEAN SOCIAL FORUM: Together Under an Iraqi Shadow
14 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
by Sanjay Suri
LONDON, Oct 12 (IPS) - ’People Power’ had become another of those slogans until the rallies Feb. 15 last year against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Those rallies were not only the biggest Europe has ever seen, but everything since then proves that people were marching on the right path.
The first European Social Forum (ESF) held late 2002 in Florence, Italy, gave birth to those rallies. The success of the rallies, backed by the force of the demonstrations against (…) -
’Corporate’ ESF sparks rival conference
14 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
by Matthew Tempest
A rival counter-conference to this week’s European Social Forum in London is being planned to protest at the "hijacking" of the anti-war, global justice event by mainstream organisations and individuals such as the trade unions and the mayor of London.
This week’s ESF - the third annual meeting of leftwing and environmental activists from across Europe - is expected to attract around 20,000 people from across Europe for three days of debate. It will culminate in a (…) -
Indymedia to U.S., U.K., Swiss and Italian Authorities: "Hands Off Our Websites"
13 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
Evidence is beginning to mount that the authorities of at least four countries (Switzerland, Italy, U.K. and U.S.A.) are involved in last week’s seizure of two of Indymedia’s servers that brought down more than 20 of the Indymedia network’s web sites and several internet radio streams. Indymedia has yet to receive any official statement or information about what the order entailed or why it was issued.
An FBI spokesperson, Joe Parris, confirmed to Agence France-Presse that the FBI issued a (…) -
Loach pitches in for low-paid cleaners
12 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
Film-maker lends support to campaign for improving lot of back-up workers at Canary Wharf, but injunction scotches protest march
by Tania Branigan
He has spent his life documenting the struggles of the poor and excluded, in films ranging from Cathy Come Home to last month’s Ae Fond Kiss.
Now Ken Loach is taking on the might of Canary Wharf in a row that mirrors his acclaimed 1998 film Bread and Roses, fighting for the rights of cleaners in the lucrative financial institutions on the (…) -
Dome from home for 5,000 activists
9 October 2004 par (Open-Publishing)
by Tania Branigan
It might not boast the cachet of staying at the Ritz or Savoy, but 5,000 backpackers will be bedding down at one of the most exclusive addresses in London next week, turning the Millennium Dome into the world’s biggest youth hostel.
The much-mocked attraction is to be turned into a dormitory for thousands of activists and young people travelling from across the continent for the European Social Forum.
Like many of the capital’s residents, the mayor appears surprised - (…)